Losing the Last 14 (One More Time)

Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Story

I was always a little bit chubby when I was a kid and very self-conscious about it.  When I turned about 15, I slimmed out.  I tried not to eat too much, and I walked a lot, as in 1-2 hours a day.  That was in 1990's, when everyone was into "low fat," which left me so hungry.  I wish I'd known that "low sugar" and "low calorie" would be more helpful for me in staying healthy, especially considering my family's propensity to diabetes.  I also wish I had found a more vigorous exercise at that time. 

Anyway, I went to college and married young, and I don't know how to put it.  I just ate everything I wanted, especially salty snacks, sweets, and restauraunt food.  Fast forward a few years, and both my husband (T.) and I were obese by the time we graduated high school. 

T. lost a fair bit of weight doing Dr. Weil's diet and the elliptical, although he was still overweight, but he felt hungry all the time.  I couldn't stand the Weil diet and just stayed fat.  Then we went on vacation, and I couldn't stand any of the pictures of myself.  Who was that fat girl?  And if I was that fat before kids, what would happen after I had kids?  I had a pretty good idea.  At my highest weigh, I believe I was about 175 pounds.  At 5 feet tall.  I'm not entirely sure of my highest weight because I didn't weigh much, and I practiced a lot of denial.  I could not climb the hill near our apartment without resting.

I read about the Atkins Diet and decided I might as well try it.  My husband I laughed about it and went out and bought lots of meat for me.  The first day was horrible.  I was an emotional wreck, but eventually I balanced out, and felt great.  I lost weight rapidly, going down to about 150 pounds, and then the weight loss slowed.  Still, I felt so much better.  My only exercise continued to be walking.  T. started Atkins about a week after I did. 

Surprisingly, I found out I was pregnant soon after, so while I tried to stay healthy, I stopped trying to lose weight immediately and ate more fruit and whole grains.  I had some health complications during pregnancy, preeclampsia and gestational diabetes, both indicators that is especially important for me to try and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.  Thankfully, my son was born healthy, although early.  I'm at high risk for heart disease and diabetes later in life. 

I was pretty happy with my weight after having my first son.  I breastfed him, which helped immensely with my weight loss.  I got to about 145 pounds, maybe 140 at one time (our old scale was not too accurate).  Although still overweight, I had much greater mobility than when I was fatter and looked more attractive.

Meanwhile, T. was thin and looking great, due to low carb, running, and weight lifting.  I was doing some strength training, had started running intervals, and was continuing low carb as well.

I had another son and an easier pregnancy.  Again, I had gestational diabetes, well controlled by diet, and my second son was full term.  The baby weight came off pretty easily again with breastfeeding, and I was comfortably about 145 pounds.  However, I ran into big trouble when he was weaning because I was used to needing so many more calories. 

My weight shot up to 160-165(?) pounds--I can't remember exactly.  I was so upset with myself.  I had been in huge denial about how I big I was getting and had only been weighed because my toddler refused to stand on the scale.  I had to stand on the scale holding him, and then have my weight subtracted from his.  Thanks a lot, buddy. 

Over the next few months, I did low carb, weight training, and cardio.  When I really focused on counting calories and portion control, and paying close attention to my body's signals of fullness, the weight dropped off of me fast.  I went right past my original goal of 135 pounds to 120-125 pounds (or so?).  

The only trouble is maintaining that.  I overeat when I'm stressed or bored.  I eat until my stomach hurts sometimes.  And I don't exercise enough.  Especially in the winter, my kids get colds, and I get colds, and I can't work out.  After this winter, I got up to 139 pounds.  I am now at 137 pounds.

My goal is 125 pounds, very reasonable for my short muscular body.  I am about a size 4 at that weight.  I know it is hard, and I know I won't be able to get there and maintain it without paying close attention to my eating and exercise.  I don't believe in going hungry or starving or depriving myself.  I believe in taking care of myself.  I have walked/run 4 half marathons.  Everytime I do, I think about the girl who couldn't walk up the hill near her house without resting. 

I am very, very proud of the fact, that except at the end of my pregnancies, I never got up to my highest weight.  It's been about 8 years.  So, I suppose I've sort of yo-yo'd, but the fluctuation has progressively gotten smaller rather than larger, and my average weight lower.  This is probably because I have never sharply restricted my calories.  I have never, ever starved myself.  I have restricted carbs severely in the past but don't do that anymore because it's not sustainable for me personally.  I do watch carbs moderately and restrict sugary foods.  

Thanks for reading my blog!  I'll be posting about my eating, exercise, and weight loss (I hope) and then take maintenance very seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment