Losing the Last 14 (One More Time)

Saturday, June 2, 2012

So Maybe I Won't Get a Milkshake

I got an advertisement for Chick-Fil-A's banana pudding milkshade.  It sounded awesome.  I wanted some!  I clicked on it and checked the calorie count, so that I could be an informed eater.  I was rather disappointed to learn that the size small milkshake has 780 calories in it!  Yikes!  That's nearly half the calories that I, as a small woman trynig to lose weight, should even eat in a day.

It is really too bad that they don't sell an extra small size, because I might enjoy about half of that for a special afternoon snack one day.  I suppose I could buy a small milkshake, bring it home, and share it with both of my children, and then it would be a somewhat reasonable desert, at about 230 calories each.  I actually might do that because I think it would be a good learning experience for them, in regards to nutrition and the appropriate amount of calories for a snack/desert.  They may rebel against me one day when they're older and fatten up by drinking big milkshakes, but if they start to gain weight, at least they'll know why. 

This is also why I no longer buy mixed drinks, unless I can get a sugar free, low calorie version.  Margaritas frequently have 700 calories in them.  Scarier still, there's no fat--all the calories come from alcohol and sugar.  (The skinny margarita at Abuelo's is pretty good).  My body can't take that many calories at once from just a drink.  And it's not like I could drink a milkshake or a margarita as a meal and actually feel full.  The milkshake would be somewhat filling--the margarita not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment