Losing the Last 14 (One More Time)

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tried out My 15's

I went up to 15-pound dumbells for most of my strength training exercises.  I was using 12's and didn't expect the 15's to be so hard.  But they were. 

I could do tons of reps of chest flies with the 12's.  With the 15's, I only did 8.  I wonder if I did multiple sets, if increasing weight would be a little easier.  I might want to think about that before I try 20's in a few months. 

The strange this is that, because the heaviest weight I had was 12, I was using it for nearly all of my exercises (except for the lateral raise, which I can barely do with 8's).  When I first started strength training years ago, doing the overhead press with 5's was painful.  Now, I look back on that and think, what they heck was wrong with me? 

Anyway, now my overhead press is the same weight as my bicep curl, and it was actually easier to increase weight on the overhead press than it was to increase the bicep curl.  Very, very weird. 

I have not been doing much lower body exercise.  My lower body is pretty muscular just from life, thanks to my freak genetics that cause me to build muscle easily.  (My parents and sister are the same way.)  I think it would good, as far as my weight loss goals, to add in some squats and lunges next time.  Nothing excessive that would take me much longer, just something to round things out and work my lower body too. 

So, a happy day.  I also randomly weighed in mid-afternoon and came up with a weight of 134.4.  I'm really hoping my Sunday morning weight is something close to that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment