Losing the Last 14 (One More Time)

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Weekly Weigh-In

I did not have high expectations for this week.  I didn't exercise much towards the beginning of the week, due to getting over my cold.  I didn't do my strength training until Saturday, which tends to make me retain a little water.  My period is expected soon.  I ate too much popcorn at the movie theater yesterday.  (My husband and I took our kids to see brave, the first time we had gone to the movies as a family.  We had popcorn because we so rarely go to the movies, and it was a special treat.)  Otherwise, I've been doing okay, but felt especialy bad about the popcorn.  I know--I need to forgive myself about the popcorn and move on.  

Well, the scale, to my surprise, pronounced me 134.2 this morning, down almost half a pound from last week.  So, this week I'm going to work very hard and try and get on the other side of 134 for next week (I have seen the lovely 133's on the scale some mornings). Getting so close to the 120's again! 

One thing I learned from Thin for Life is that successful maintainers set reasonable goals.  Setting a goal of 10 pounds in a month for July was not a reasonable goal for a busy mother of 2 children who doesn't have very much weight to lose.  Sure, if I went to a weight loss camp and burned a ton of calories every day, I could do it, but it would be very difficult and time consuming for me to do that in conjunction with my responsibilities at home. Five pounds might have been a reasonable goal, but 3-4 is probably what I'm going to get. 

I'm not discouraged or sad that I'm not going to lose 10 pounds this month, and the idea of it did motivate me at the beginning of the month.  As much as I want to be at my goal, I have to remind myself that even when I'm "done" losing weight, I'm not going to be "done" ever.  I will have to watch my eating and exercise habits for the rest of my life.  And that's okay--most fit people do, and I can too. 

One great thing that has happened is that my jean shorts fit again.  Actually, they are too loose.  I have lost five pounds, apparently mostly off my waist, and I must have built up muscle over the months too.  In late spring, my shorts were unwearable because they were so tight.  Now I have inches to spare and really should retire them.  It's kind of confusing actually.  These are not shorts from when I was at my thinnest--they are from when I had put on some weight--I picked them up at a yard sale.  My other shorts are still a little snug, but I can wear them.  Hopefully, by the end of the summer, they will be really comfortable again. 

I got some new videos, one Biggest Loser, one Bob Harper, and one Jillian.  (Yes, I'm a fan of the show.)  I hope to review them in the coming weeks.  I'm only now feeling over my cold enough to do them.

Originally, had decided to tie my weight loss to my clothing budget and only buy clothes for myself when I had lost weight or maintained my goal weight.  I decided this was a bad idea for me.  I need to look nice no matter what my weight, so I have bought clothes that should continue to fit me at my goal weight.   When I reach my goal, however, I will get myself a refurbished iTouch.  I really want one! 

Overall, I'm pleased with my results today and planning on working very hard next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment